Friday 4 October 2013

Ultimate avocado sandwich



You know how sometimes you have a guilty food conscience over things left over in the fridge? A sad, wilting bunch of basil; a block of cheddar starting to grow what my mother terms ‘a little furry coat’; a red pepper that is starting to wrinkle…I’m sure I’m not the only one for whom such things are quite traumatic, such is my hatred of wastage.

Here’s a solution for that half avocado sitting in clingfilm in your fridge that is starting to turn brown and unappetising in places (but is, I assure you, still completely edible). I came up with this in an attempt to alleviate the aforementioned guilty conscience, and ended up tucking into one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten in my life.


It featured a deliciously creamy yet chunky spread of mashed avocado, brightened with salt, lime and a little coriander. Next to this, feisty slices of punchy chorizo, and a huge juicy beef tomato, sliced. The lot was piled into a floury, fluffy ciabatta bun, and the resulting sandwich was completely inappropriate to be eaten in public. I ended up with avocado on my nose.

But don’t let this put you off – it’s ridiculously tasty.



Ultimate avocado sandwich (serves 1):

Half a ripe avocado
A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
A small handful of fresh coriander or basil, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 ciabatta roll, or similar
6 thin slices of chorizo
1 large tomato, thinly sliced

In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the citrus juice, coriander or basil, and a generous amount of salt and pepper, to taste (avocados love salt – be kind). Slice the ciabatta in half and spread the avocado on the inside, then fill with the chorizo and tomato. Eat in private.



No comments:

Post a Comment